Once, my step-mom Adrienne asked me, “What would your ideal day look like, when you think of the farm and writing?”
I paused a minute and said, “At least half time on the farming. Maybe 60/40 farm to computer.”
I hadn’t really thought about that before, but once I said it, I felt that vibration of truth first spoken, and I knew I needed to lean into that dream.
When I think about getting to spend 60 percent of my time working on farm things, I imagine:
- A field of lavender in front of the barn.
- Swaths of cut flowers intermixed with the lavender.
- A beautiful, tended vegetable garden with flowers blooming by the cucumbers and beans.
- A farmyard that is largely self-sustaining in wildflower meadows and meditations gardens with a patch of lawn for Milo to play and big beds of flowers and shrubs to give color and cover to our bird friends.
- A vivacious farm stand with eggs, flowers, and vegetables for sale at the price our neighbors can pay, and a Little Free Library that gives free books away by the hundreds each year.
When I pair that vibrating glory of a dream with the other dream of my life – to write books and read books for living (something I already do) – I get such a sense of wonder and hope about the future that I can hardly wait.
To get us further toward that goal, I’m devoting a great deal of time and energy to writing books and promoting those books. Right now, my income from editing and coaching is what supports the farm, so if we want to expand what we do, my income needs to expand. (Philip’s salary covers our day-to-day living expenses and keeps Milo in teethers, which are SO necessary right now.) So I’m going to write more books more quickly – while doing my very best to not sacrifice quality or truth in the pages.
My newest book, Silence at the Lock, comes out on April 2. It’s the final book in my Steele Secrets trilogy and tells the story of Mary Steele, a young, white woman, who meets the ghost of Sarah, a young, black woman who was murdered when trying to stop her mother’s lynching. It’s a book of magical realism and history, a book about justice and truth-telling and community.
Anyone who pre-orders the book gets some great bonuses, including:
- a free copy of the first book in the series, Steele Secrets.
- a chance to win one of three signed sets of the whole series.
- an original illustration by Corey Egbert that was inspired by my book.
If you or someone you love might enjoy the book, I’d be so grateful for your pre-order. You can get all the information about the book, see a sneak peek of Corey’s image, and find links to pre-order here.
Dreams, friends, they are powerful things. I’ve followed them for years now, and the life I live is a result of obedience to the gift of the dream. I’m dreaming hard again, and I’m so grateful that you have travelled with me all these days of dreaming.